Amy Barnes’ Lunch & Learn class sample menu
BAKED PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN
3/4 cup butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBSP fresh thyme, chopped
2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
2 TBSP fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
6 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless, 4 oz each
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the garlic. When the butter starts to bubble, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, stir the breadcrumbs together with the Parmesan cheese, thyme, basil, oregano, pepper, and salt. Dip the chicken breasts in the butter, then press into the seasoned bread crumbs. Place the chicken into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 50 to 55 minutes.
Makes 2 cups
Serve with the chicken
3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
4 garlic cloves
1 TBSP lemon juice
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts or almonds
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a food processor or blender, combine basil, garlic, lemon juice Parmesan cheese, olive oil, nuts and parsley. Blend to a smooth paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
RISOTTO WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND MOZZARELLA Serves 6
5 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock to a simmer.
2. While the stock is heating, drain the sun-dried tomatoes and reserve the oil. Chop the tomatoes coarsely and set them aside.
3. In a large deep frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of oil from the tomatoes; add onion and sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes.
4. Add rice to the frying pan and stir until white spots appear in the center of the grains, about 1 minute. Spoon a ladleful of stock into the frying pan and cook the mixture on low until all the stock is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Add the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil from the tomatoes, chopped basil, and salt and pepper. Mix well and serve.