LINZER TART WITH CHERRY JAM
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted, ground
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
½ pint fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half
½ cup cherry jam
1. Make the crust: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer beat sugar, butter and egg until creamy. Add flour, almonds, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; beat just until well blended. Measure ¾ cup of dough; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill. Using floured fingertips, press remaining dough over bottom and up sides of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Pierce dough in several places with fork. Chill at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Bake crust until light golden, piercing with toothpick if crust bubbles, about 15 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool. Maintain oven temperature.
4. On a generously floured surface, roll out chilled dough disk to ?-inch thickness. Cut dough into stars, using 2-inch and 3-inch star cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to baking sheet. Bake until cookies are light golden, about 6 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool. Maintain oven temperature.
5. Make the filling: In the top of double boiler set over simmering water, melt the chocolate chips, stirring until smooth. Cool 5 minutes. Spread chocolate over bottom of crust. Arrange cherries over chocolate, spacing evenly.
6. In a heavy small saucepan over low heat, stir the jam until melted and smooth. Spoon jam over cherries.
7. Bake tart until crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes (filling will still appear slightly liquid but will set up as tart cools.) Transfer tart to rack and cool. Arrange stars atop tart, overlapping points. Dust with powdered sugar.