ESSENCE OF COOKING INTERMEDIATE
In the Essence Intermediate series we begin with a basic understanding of cooking and move ahead developing new skills and knowledge. Each week we focus on in-depth Cooking Principals, learning how to develop complex flavors and create layers of flavors. We will learn Cooking Methods including battering, stuffing, layering, and marinating; and Cooking Processes of charring, roasting, sauté, flambe, smoking, poaching and baking. In six short weeks you will achieve an understanding of cooking shared by many professionals with a true sense of accomplishment in your cooking capabilities. Make your summer count and join us for this fun and exciting series!
- Week 1: Shrimp Tempura Appetizer with Garlic-Soy Dipping Sauce; crispy Celery Root & fresh Apple Salad with Hazelnut Vinaigrette; Marinated & Fire Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Blackberry-Red Wine Sauce; Grill Cooked fresh Zucchini with Marinated Roasted Peppers; Brussels Sprouts Roasted with Mushrooms & Fried Shallots and Individual Yukon Gold Soufflés. Dessert will be Bananas Foster Flambé with Butter-Rum Praline Sauce & Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Week 2: Fried Green Tomato Appetizer with Buttermilk-Peppercorn Sauce; Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Baby Arugula, fresh Mint, Toasted Pine Nuts, Parmesan Cheese, & Cracked Black Pepper; Tandoori Style Grilled Chicken with Garlic, fresh Ginger, Coriander, & Cumin; Slow Cooked Saffron & Bacon Risotto; Oven Roasted fresh Green Beans with Baby Carrots & Roasted Garlic; Fry Bread with Sweet Desert Honey, and French Quarter Beignets with Whiskey Hard Sauce & Dark Chocolate Sauce.
- Week 3: Sautéed fresh Mushroom & Goat Cheese Toasts Appetizer with Basil Oil; Charred Corn & Radicchio Salad with Balsamic Syrup & Shaved Pecorino Cheese; Homemade Pappardelle Pasta with Bolognese Sauce; Flame Cooked New York Steak with Grilled Onions & Chipotle-Red Pepper Sauce; Grilled fresh Asparagus with Candied Bacon; Roasted Beets & Carrots with Dijon Butter & fresh Dill, & Skillet Salted Caramel Apple Crisp with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Week 4: Smoked Salmon on Corn Cakes Appetizer with Dill Crème Fraîche; Butter Lettuce Salad with Bacon, Dried Cherries, & Roquefort Cheese; Prosciutto & Gruyère Stuffed Roasted Chicken with Tomato Confit & Chardonnay-Butter Sauce; fresh Herb & Parmesan Polenta; Julienne fresh Carrots, Peppers, & Squash Roasted with Olive Oil, Garlic, & fresh Herbs; Flakey Buttermilk Dinner Biscuits with Burnt Onion Butter, and Deep Dark Chocolate Cake with Whiskey Sauce.
- Week 5: Fig Jam & Brie Bruschetta; Roasted Pear Salad with Baby Arugula, Walnuts, & Shallot Vinaigrette; Pan Roasted fresh Salmon with Martini-Butter Sauce; Cast Iron Browned Garlic Brussels Sprouts; Balsamic Glazed Potatoes & Pearl Onions, and Grill Roasted fresh Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto. Dessert will be Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée with Whipped Cream and Glazed Strawberries.
- Week 6: Blistered Shishito Pepper Appetizer with Togarashi, Sea Salt, & Saffron Aioli; Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Toasted Pecans & Pecorino Cheese; Chargrilled New York Steak with Flaming Jack Daniels Cream Sauce; Steakhouse Spinach Gratin; Slow Simmered Black Beans with Carrots, Cumin, & Red Pepper; Flash Fried Sweet Potatoes with fresh Herbs, and Peach Tarts with Homemade Ice Cream & Sweet Zinfandel Syrup.