Sweet Basil Cooking School’s specialty is hands-on classes. Any good teaching requires a number of skills but teaching hands-on classes requires the most. Experience and knowledge are crucial, of course.
To quote a teaching chef we knew many years ago: “You need eyes in the back – and on the sides – of your head.” And those eyes have to react quickly to a number of different hands doing a number of different tasks.
We’re proud that our chef instructors are so good at what they do – and that each one enjoys sharing their skills with those who attend our classes. Each one is an integral part of what makes Sweet Basil Cooking School a success.
||Chef Amy Barnes Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ
- Amy enjoys “inspiring people to care about the foods they eat.”
- The best advice anyone ever gave her about cooking: “Keep it simple.”
- Amy’s favorite meal: “Wiener Schnitzel, Spätzle & Red Cabbage.”
- Amy’s favorite web site: www.skinnytaste.com
- Amy’s Upcoming Classes
Amy’s most memorable cooking experience: “Competing and winning 1st place in a competition with 50 students from culinary schools around the country. (Amy was the only female.) Her winning dish was Sauteed Breaded Breast of Chicken with Mashed Potatoes & a Tower of Julienned Root Vegetables“.
||Chef Lisa Brisch
- Chef Lisa Brisch left a rewarding career in Information Technology management when she realized that the passion she’s developed for cooking after college kept growing. Following her dream she became a graduate of the Art Institute of Phoenix’s Culinary Program and then a Certified Personal Chef. Chef Brisch launched her Dinner Thyme Personal Chef Service in 2000 and has since won a loyal clientele in Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania and now Phoenix. Her forte is cooking with a focus on high quality ingredients, good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, etc), whole grains, fresh proteins, and seasonal vegetables.” As does any good business owner, however, Chef Brisch knows that her success as a personal chef is based on “cooking for people based on how they like to eat, not how you like to cook.”
- Lisa’s Upcoming Classes
||Chef Linda Martin Hometown: Santa Monica, CA
- Linda owns Linda’s Dinner Designs catering.
- The best advice anyone ever gave her about cooking: “Taste everything!”
- What is your favorite cooking tip: “Rub your hands on stainless steel to remove food odors.”
- Linda’s favorite meal: Rack of Lamb.
- Linda’s favorite web site: www.saveur.com
- Linda Martin’s Upcoming Classes
Linda’s most memorable cooking experience: “While catering a party I was using a large amount of brandy for a flambé that created a pan fire that reached the ceiling. I kept shaking the pan until the alcohol cooked out.”
||Chef Eric Naddy
- Eric is the owner of Tall Order Catering in the Valley. It is a full service provider of all facets of a succesful event from menu planning to rental management.
- Eric loves to compete in “blind basket culinary competitions similar to the popular television shows “Chopped” and “Iron Chef”. Shortly after entering the culinary field (but not yet an established chef), he participated in such a competition against 6 chefs with over 100 years of combined experience and won!”
- Eric’s Upcoming Classes
||Chef Melissa Stockmar Hometown: Overland Park, Kansas
- What she enjoys about teaching: “It’s gratifying to see people’s reactions when they learn the things I’m wanting to teach them.”
- The best advice anyone ever gave her about cooking: “If you fail at a recipe, don’t give up, do it again, and never stop trying.”
- Melissa’s favorite meal: “Eggs Benedict“
- Malissa’s favorite web site: www.epicurious.com
- Melissa’s Upcoming Classes
Melissa’s most memorable cooking experience: “From her experience in the Pastry Department at the Boulder’s Resort: They made a gingerbread replica of the resort at Christmas. From there, the tradition of putting out Luminarias in her neighborhood inspired her to create Gingerbread Luminarias at Christmas. Her Mom asked her to make them for her friends for gifts and they loved them so much that these friends asked her to make more Luminarias for their friends. Melissa has now made them for all of her friends and she likes using her creativity to show her love.”